Music icon Diana Ross and psychedelic rock band Tame Impala have joined forces for a new summer anthem, “Turn Up The Sunshine.” It’s the first single from the Minions: The Rise of Gru soundtrack.
Produced by Jack Antonoff, “Turn Up The Sunshine” radiates optimistic energy. Ross uses her beautiful voice to inspire the youth to be a light in the world, especially when enduring dark times.
“If this weather makes you frown / And some people get you down / Remember, love’s like sound It’s better when it’s loud / And if there’s no sun in sight We can bring the light together / Day or night We’re shining from inside,” Ross sings on the ’70s-inspired tune.
Illumination’s Minions: The Rise of Gru, an animated action-comedy, will release globally on July 1, as well as its accompanying soundtrack. The 19-track compilation features contributions from Brittany Howard, H.E.R., Gary Clark Jr., Kali Uchis, Thundercat and more.
Antonoff wrote on Instagram, “Proud to announce the soundtrack i made for minions: the rise of gru. my favorite 70s songs performed by my favorite artists + an original i wrote with sam dew, patrik berger and kevin parker performed by ✨diana ross✨ and ✨tame impala✨ called “turn up the sunshine”. recording sessions for these were some of the most special and bizarre ….. stories one day :)”
“Turn Up The Sunshine” is Ross’ first song release since her 2021 album, Thank You.
“I spent the past year recording new music and this music is a reflection of the joy and the love and the gratitude that I feel every day. It’s an album of great appreciation for life, and for all of you,” said Ross.
“For me there was an urgency in making a meaningful album, working with what is happening now in our world. Through the power of music, we are creating a new kind of conversation that supports our choices and the decisions that we make.”
Thank You includes songwriting and production work from Antonoff, Troy Miller, Triangle Park, Spike Stent, Prince Charlez, Amy Wadge, Neff-U, Freddie Wexler, Jimmy Napes, Tayla Parx, Fred White and Nathaniel Ledgewick.
Listen to “Turn Up The Sunshine” by Diana Ross and Tame Impala below.
Minions: The Rise of Gru Tracklist:
1. Turn Up The Sunshine – Diana Ross ft. Tame Impala
2. Shining Star – Brittany Howard ft. Verdine White (Earth, Wind & Fire 1975)
3. Funkytown – St. Vincent (Lipps Inc in 1979)
4. Hollywood Swinging – BROCKHAMPTON (Kool & The Gang 1974)
5. Desafinado – Kali Uchis (Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto 1959)
6. Bang Bang – Caroline Polachek (Nancy Sinatra 1966)
7. Fly Like an Eagle – Thundercat (Steve Miller Band 1976)
8. Goodbye To Love – Phoebe Bridgers (The Carpenters 1972)
9. Instant Karma! – Bleachers (John Lennon 1970)
10. You’re No Good – Weyes Blood (Linda Ronstadt 1975)
11. Vehicle – Gary Clark Jr. (The Ides of March 1970)
12. Dance to the Music – H.E.R. (Sly and The Family Stone 1967)
13. Black Magic Woman – Tierra Whack (Santana 1970)
14. Cool – Verdine White
15. Born To Be Alive – Jackson Wang (Patrick Hernandez 1979)
16. Cecilia – The Minions (Simon & Garfunkel 1970)
17. Bang Bang – G.E.M. (Nancy Sinatra 1966)
18. Kung Fu Suite – RZA
19. Minions: The Rise of Gru Score Suite – Heitor Pereira (edited)
Leave a Reply